Thursday, September 29, 2005

There Is No End to the...

boxes, boxes, and more boxes.

I've officially moved in to my new place. Of course, there's no room to move around yet. The worst part is that I can't find my coffee pot. I bought this cool new Chocolate Silk coffee to try out, but I have no way to make it at home. I've had to bring it to the office. It's good, but not as good as I'd hoped.

I posted flyers around downtown yesterday. We're starting up an "Experimental Worship" service at Second Con and we want local musicians to play.


What we're looking for:
  • Street music that speaks to people spiritually (which does not necessarily mean "Christian" music)
    People who can commit to participating regularly in the Experimental Worship
  • Several groups with different styles (since we want to rotate different artists regularly)
  • People intersted in helping to carve out their own spiritual niche


What we're not looking for:
  • Contemporary Christian music (there's plenty of places that have that; we want somethign different)
  • Artists who only want to come if they are playing that night


And, some suggested styles:
  • Etheral
  • Drumming
  • Reggae
  • Other sounds from the neighborhood

I'm not sure the of the actual start date, but I do know that it will be tied into our Wednesday Night Live. We will begin with a community meal around 5:50pm, and then around 6:20 we will adjourn to the chapel.

I'm looking forward to starting this up. If anyone who reads this knows of someone who might be interested, please give them the head's-up.

Also, we're considering starting up a Living the Questions group. If we go in this direction, I'm toying with the idea of having it over at the Minglewood. That would open it to the public.

6 comments:

The Catshark said...

Drat! Well if I wasn't 2000 miles away Id say I would be game. But being a street musician out here can reap its benefits! A few of my old bandmates and I have come together and wrote a few more songs. Weve been looking into renting out a studio for a recording session which would be tons of fun!

Im kind of spoiled by Mother Lode Coffee out here. Its a big warehouse that makes tons of different gourmet coffee flavors. There are two that I love the most mocha almond fudge and chocolate macademia. Next time I take the three miles trek to the warehouse I will try to remember to grab you a couple of samples! :)

MissionBound said...

Well, if you can't find your coffee pot, you really don't want that good coffee to go to waste, so maybe you should send it to Japan. One of my not so interesting stories includes buying nasty coffee at the grocery store...truly, I can't wait until it's gone and I can try something else.

I'm glad to hear you are settling in nicely at Second Con. Congrats on preaching an inspiring sermon (though, who would've thought differently?) Have fun with your experimental services. Wish I could be there for them. Oh, and where are you? Please email me your address. I sent a letter to the church....watch for it later this week.

irreverance said...

Catshark: A recording session? That would be fun! Like rock on, dude!

Mocha almond fudge and chocolate macademia....drooollll...

MissionBound: Fear not, for I have found the absentee coffee pot. Thus, I can now enjoy my Chocolate Silk for myself. (Or, was that a hint the likes of which the male species is doomed to not get?) Anyway, once again, all is right in this world.

Finally, it looks like I have a REAL reason to check my mailbox at work. Usually, it's only junk mail to my various predecessors or something that I have to take care of. Hooray!

The Catshark said...

Hmmm that is a good idea! You may want to check for a small box from me too! LOL!

Scott Hill said...

I noticed you listed post-modern theology as an interest on your profile. Are there any Post-modern theology books out there somewhere? I would really like to read one.

irreverance said...

Scott: That's always a tricky question to answer because there are different books for people who are ready for different levels of engagement.

For those coming out of an evangelical background looking to get their feet wet without too much shock, I would suggest Brian McLaren's A New Kind of Christian. It helps to trace where we've been and where we're at. After that, a move into a more theological arena would include Clark Pinnock's A Wideness in God's Mercy.

For those coming from a mainline background, I would suggest starting with Stanley Hauerwas' After Christendom. Then, to enter into a more heady stuff go to John Cobb and David Ray Griffin's Process Theology: An Introductory Exposition.

I would suggest starting from either of those places. They pose distinct issues that would-be theologians need to come to terms with before any genuine interaction with postmodern theology can happen.

Good luck.