Monday, July 25, 2005

Egad, It's Hot!

Since I've been working on getting the podcast up and running, I've largely neglected Eclectic Mass. So, I want to hit on a few highlight from the last couple of weeks.

Jessica Alba and the GangMegalomaniac dropped in for a week. We went to see the The Fantastic Four. I liked it better than he did. The effects were great, except for the Thing. When you see creasing in the stone skin, the illusion that it isn't foam starts to fade.

I had an interview last Thursday. I don't want to say too much, but I think it went well. I won't hear anything until after mid-week. Till then, I'll just have to sweat it out.

Speaking of sweating, it's hotter than hell out there! It says that it's a whopping 89 degrees, but add all that humidity and you might as well be standing on the sun. Let's hope that thunder I've heard all day means something later.

Meeeeeoww! for Halle BerryAfter my interview, I dropped in on a couple of friends. Their children hung on my, which was fun. They're just adorable. While there, we watched Catwoman. The movie was good, but the CGI looked too "fake." I don't know, maybe it was too crisp or something.

Since I've been working again on Nutshell Christianity I've remembered why I stopped. Writing about evil is hard. Really hard. And then putting it on paper in such a way that it is concise and easy to "get" is even harder. Part of my problem is my growing impatience. I want it done, and I want it done now. I need to relax, not think about self-imposed schedules, and let it flow. I need to take the time to do it right.

Today I was reading an article in The Myth of Christian Uniqueness (eds. John Hick and Paul Knitter). I was supposed to have read it all during seminary. Apparently I didn't, because I just discovered a wonderful text by Japanese theologian Seiichi Yagi. A great quote: "For all human beings are so constituted, in their very natures, that the divine and the human are at the same time one and two. It is just that most persons have not yet awakened to this reality." (p. 122-23) Now, time for me to go away and finish reading the article.

10 comments:

irreverance said...

An advantage of having low standards: I can enjoy more movies.

However, if it were to bring about such a state as death, that would be a distinct disadvantage. Thankfully, as of yet, it has not come to that.

The Catshark said...

Hot! What are you talking about hot! Try living out here! We've been in the triple digits almost all month long! You big baby! J/K

But actually I know what you mean about the darn humidity.I wish some of the thunder storms would hit us here but sad to say we haven't seen any rain since April. I miss Minnesota sometimes for that reason. I used to fall asleep to the storms.

I'll be praying for you on the interview! I truly hope it is the right fit for you.

I have yet to see fantastic 4 but I have a plan to see it with a few friends on Wednesday. Since I love cats, Catwoman was given to me as a christmas present last year. I thought it was good but it lacked something I can't put my finger on.

Also, I have a drawing that I wanted to show you of a dragon I did, since I think you said something before as you take a liking to them. But sad to say my scanner is on the brink of death. So I am going to try and find a friend that will assist me in placing it online.

irreverance said...

Thanks for the prayers.

I'd love to see the dragon. If you want to see the mural I did, you can go to my on-line gallery (see left column of blog page).

The Catshark said...

I got to admit that is some pretty nice stuff you got on there! Im good but not that good! :) I had three fans of my work, my art teacher that worked with me from High school all the way up to my last year in junior college and my two nieces who loved the coloring books I'd make em filled with bunnies, kangaroos, jackaroos and what not!

Last night we went to a late night showing of the Fantastic 4. I was prepared to be disappointed. Lets just say I had a good time making fun of the whole thing with a friend since we were the only ones in the theater. :)

The Catshark said...

Ok my Dragon is up! Check out my blog and see! Email me and I will send you the file.

irreverance said...

Danica: Thanks for dropping in and for the compliment.

irreverance said...

Diane: The dragon looks great!

The Catshark said...

Thanks a lot, I tend to me my own worst critic so tons of this stuff goes unnoticed like the few childrens books that I have illustrated that will just sit on the shelf. Actually I just haven't the slightest clue what to do with em!

The Catshark said...

So did ya get the job? Huh Huh Huh? Your keepin this anxiety basket case in limbo! I need to know! :)

The Catshark said...

I know Im a pest! :)