Thursday, September 15, 2005

Preaching

This Sunday will be my first sermon at Second Con. I just finised the nearly-final draft. As I try to think about where this congregation is, I realize that I may have to take a pretty different approach to sermons. I have effectively moved from a conservative, rural congregation to a liberal, urban one. The extent to which I have to adapt I don't yet know. It has made this first one tough though.

I'm also thinking about doing another DVD discussion group at a local coffee shop (much like the Historical Jesus Discussion Group that I did at the Common Grounds BookCafe). Mike has suggested a "Fundamentalist Recovery Group." It's a neat idea. I think Bart Ehrman's New Testament DVD series would be great for that, but I'll have to do a quick review to see how complicated it is.

Now, off to check out a coffee shop that my predecessor haunted.

4 comments:

The Catshark said...

Well good luck! It sounds quite nerve racking to me! But hopefully you will find common ground in the group. But most of the time that "common ground" isn't all that easy to reach. But I am sure once you start getting to know em all it will seem as if they are one big happy family to you. Ahhh sounds too cute and cuddly to me! Yuck! LOL

Tim said...

how'd it go, Sheapard? which coffe shop you talking about, btw?

irreverance said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
irreverance said...

Catshark: Everything went over well on Sunday morn. I think they like me. That makes life soooo much easier.

Tim: Which one? Well, I'm not sure. I went out to where I thought it was supposed to be, but there was nothing there. Out by Auburn and Main is where I checked. Anyway, I'm really liking the Minglewood. I met the owner (Karen) last week. Neat person.