Thursday, May 05, 2005

A Lass! A Beautiful Lass!

A Lass!  A Beautiful Lass!
Title: A Lass! A Beautiful Lass!


When St. Sebald visited on New Year's Eve, we took a few pictures at a local cemetary. I thought this one worthy of a drawing. I started this last night and finished it today. Surprisingly, it only took me 5 hours total. Well, that's for the drawing part anyway.

It took me another 3 hours to get it all ready for the on-line store. Because the original is 12x18, I had to scan it in 3 sections. Then I had to put it all together, blending and tweaking. Moreover, the drawing pad I used was an old one, so the supposedly "white" paper was really more of a "yellow" color even in the brightest places. I had to figure out how to fix that too. Needless to say, the computer side of the work has been a pain in the ass.

This is what happens to me when I draw: I look at it and see all the stuff that went wrong. Certain aspects of this picture bothers me. I keep telling myself, "Nobody knows what the reference photo looks like." And, "If this were done by somebody else, you would think it's really good." So far, every other living being who has seen it really likes it. Perhaps, I just need to get over the nit-picky things. And perhaps it is the doom of the artist to be his or her own worst critic.

Indeed, despite my own self-criticism, I must admit that overall I am quite happy with the final product. I just submitted it to deviantART, so hopefully it passes inspection soon.

In fact, once it gets posted in the store, it might be time to place an order for some merchendise and take it down to the Common Grounds BookCafe to sell it. Till then, I shall live in anticipation.

Update: I just got notice that all my submitted works are now posted in my store. Woo hoo!

0 comments: