Saturday, May 07, 2005

Establishment Review

Eco Expresso Cafe in Princeton, IL.

Before today, I had only been in this coffeshop once. During that visit, I had a wonderful conversation with the owner. She was incredibly personable and interacted with everyone as though they were actually interesting to her (who knows, maybe to her they were). I remember walking out of there thinking, "What a wonderful place. Next time I'm in town I need to come back here." But it is just short of a half-hour away, and I never really go to Princeton for anything, so I had not made that return visit until to day.

Primarily, I went there to post a flyer for art classes and to draw in public (it's a way to increase interest in the classes). Apparently, the business is under "new ownership." I'm not sure what happened, but today I realized fully the extent to which the staff in such an establishment sets the pace for social interaction in the room.

I arrived at the counter. I was asked for my order. I sat down. I received my order. I drew for about 2 1/2 hours. A staff person asked me if I wanted another refill once. Other than that, no other conversation took place. And when I arrived, there were 4 (count them: 1,2,3,4) people behind the counter. I was even 3/4 of the way out the door before they "goodbye."

In my mind, a coffee shop should be a social place. For those who don't want to be "social," that's fine, they don't have to be. But the staff should at least try to start conversations with those who arrive. Being "friendly" actually helps business. If clients give the impression that they want to be left alone, then fine. But, today, they only talked to each other (unless they were taking orders/money). It really set the tone for the atmosphere. The people who came in barley talked to those they came in with, and they certainly didn't talk with anyone else.

Was I part of an experiment in isolation? Because it sure felt like it.

If I find myself in Princeton, I might go back. A certain part of me says that one bad experience isn't enough to write a place off, so I should give them another chance. But I'll still have to have a good reason to go.

0 comments: