Thursday, June 30, 2005

B/W Rendering

Fantasy Scene

I wanted to practice black and white rendering on the computer. The sketch took about 1/2 hour. The redrawing and filling with 50% gray took about an hour. And the dodge and burn took about an hour. That totals a little over 2-1/2 hours. The original intent was a 4x2" comic panel.

I think the biggest time consumer is the redrawing. This has given me even more incentive geta drawing tablet (or whatever the hell they're actually called). Then, I could use a stylus rather than a mouse. That would be soooo nice.

My thoughts on the pic: I'm not happy with it. It looks too much like a chalk drawing. I like the look of chalk drawings, mind you, but not when I'm trying for something else. This is not the look I had in mind. I tried the watercolor filter, and then remembered how fake that thing looks. I may need to find an entirely different approach.

I've saved the basic gray pic to play with. You may see this pop up differently rendered in a later post.

And an important note: On Wednesday, 6 July 2005, the Sci-Fi channel will host a Battlestar Galactica marathon. That means every episode of the new series for 12 staight hours starting at 9:00 am. I know what I'm doing on that day.

0 comments: