Thursday, June 30, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

My Birthday Present

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm officially 36 years of age. Yes, boys and girls, that means that I am now closer to 40 than 30. Not that I feel it or demonstrate it in my behavior, mind you.

So, "How did your birthday go?" you may be wondering.

Well, I'm glad you asked. It was an emotional roller coaster. At the church, we had a congregational meeting to discuss the future of the church. (Unfortunatly, this was the only day we had available to do this.) At this meeting, session members presented our situation to the congregation. Then they presented the recommendation that we vote to close, with the last day being Reformation Sunday (last Sunday in October). This allows for four months of celebrating the congregation's heritage as well as grieving its loss.

It was a very difficult meeting for me. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a pastor to these wonderful people. I'm sure I'll see them here and there, but it won't be the same.

Enter, MissionBound to the rescue. She is in the area for a couple of weeks, so she took me to see Batman Begins. I really enjoyed this movie. And my favorite line: "It's not what is within, but what you do that defines you." Three cheers for postmodern psychology! Rah Rah Rah! (I should write more, but I'll leave it to that for now.)

Anyway, I felt much better after the movie and a couple of beers. Today is the final day here as Student Pastor. What's next is still up in the air. Hopefully, we will find out soon.

0 comments: