Friday, July 15, 2005

Keys to Power

A while back I picked up a book entitled The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. It's a great book, and I'm now only rediscovering it. Basically, it is his answer to the question, "how do I acquire power?" Greene uses historical illustrations to convey the spirit of the law. He's quite witty too.

Each chapter begins with a "judgment." Here's my fav, cause I think it's funny:

Law 28: Enter Action with Boldness
If you are unsure of a course of action, do not attempt it. Your doubts and hesitations will infect your execution. Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity. Everyone admires the bold; no one honors the timit.

See how funny that is? Okay, well maybe I'm the only one that will bust a gut at that one.

How about this then:
Law 6: Court Attention at All Costs
Everything is judged by its appearance; what is unseen counts for nothing. Never let yourself get lost in the crowd, then, or buried in oblivion. Stand out. Be conspicuous, at all cost. Make yourself a magnet of attnetion by appearing larger, more colorful, mor mysterious than the bland and timid.

Well, not so funny, but I like it.

So there you have it, two of the 48 Laws of Power. Use them wisely and you too can subtly take over your own little hamlet in rural America without anybody noticing.

1 comments:

The Catshark said...

LOL yeah you can say it wasn't so funny but you hit on a topic that I have a few ties in.