Friday, February 11, 2005

Theology on Tap

Tonight, a group of young pastors gathered in Geneva to have "Theology on Tap." The restraunt we went to was the Claunaugh (sp?). Great fish and chips. The whole evening was a lot of fun.

So many topics. So many questions. The topic that was most interesting to me was on abusive religion. Unfortunately, we didn't spend much time on it.

I say unfortunately because that's something that I've been thinking about recently. The reality is that not all religion is healthy, and some is down-right diabolically abusive. It's a tough call to identify such religious approaches, but it is irresponsible not to actively do so.

Today, I went to the IVCC library to see if they had copies of textbooks there (and they didn't since it was against their policy to have them in the library...that's an upcoming rant). While scanning the shelf, I came across Mark Juergensmeyer's, Terror in the Mind of God. It looks like a phenomenal text. Basically, it explores the connection between religion and violence. Given my new interest in this area, it's a must have.

But a major question for me is "How am I to deal with the signs of abusive religion in this area as an official representative of the church?"

Sexism.
Racism.
Heterosexism.

The right of human inclusion is a "moral issue," despite what some say.
And more than that, it is a justice issue.

What to do? I haven't figured that out yet. Perhaps, in time.

0 comments: